Southaven Consider the Vape Shop Location Restrictions
The Future of Vape Shops in Southaven: Zoning Ordinance Changes and their Impact
In Southaven, the city’s Board of Aldermen is deliberating on an amendment to the zoning ordinance that aims to impose further restrictions on the locations of future vape and smoke shops. This decision comes as a response to the rapid expansion of these stores throughout the city. We will examine the reasons behind the proposed restrictions, the opinions of key stakeholders, and the potential impact on Southaven’s retail landscape.
The Amendment Proposal
City Planning and Development Director Whitney Choat-Cook brought up the amendment as a discussion item during a recent board meeting. Choat-Cook believes that limitations must be put in place to control the growth of vape and smoke shops in Southaven, as they are occupying almost every available small tenant space.
Trends and Concerns
Choat-Cook’s job entails monitoring trends that impact the city positively or negatively. The influx of vape shops and smoke shops is not considered a positive development for Southaven, prompting the need for better control through conditional use permits.
Conditional Use Permits
The proposed ordinance change would allow vape and smoke shops in zones C-3 and C-4 only under a conditional use permit. The permit would stipulate that there can only be one shop within a half-mile radius, thereby preventing them from dominating every retail space.
Board Members’ Reactions
When Choat-Cook presented the proposal to the board, the aldermen present expressed their support for the idea. This consensus indicates that the amendment has a strong chance of being implemented in the near future.
Impact on Southaven’s Retail Landscape
If the amendment is enacted, Southaven’s retail landscape will likely see a significant shift. The restriction on vape and smoke shop locations could pave the way for a more diverse range of businesses to occupy retail spaces, promoting economic growth and enhancing the overall vibrancy of the city.
The Southaven Board of Aldermen’s consideration of vape shop location restrictions reflects growing concerns about the proliferation of these businesses within the city. With the proposed amendment gaining support, it seems likely that the future retail landscape in Southaven will undergo a significant transformation. Ultimately, these changes could foster a more diverse and vibrant local economy.
- What is the proposed amendment to Southaven’s zoning ordinance? The proposed amendment aims to impose restrictions on the locations of future vape and smoke shops, limiting their growth within the city.
- Why are these restrictions being considered? City Planning and Development Director Whitney Choat-Cook believes that the rapid expansion of vape and smoke shops is not a positive development for Southaven, and that limitations are necessary to maintain a diverse retail landscape.
- What are conditional use permits? Conditional use permits are a form of zoning control that allows certain businesses to operate within specific zones, but only under certain conditions, such as limiting their proximity to other similar businesses.
- What zones would be affected by the proposed amendment? The proposed amendment would affect zones C-3 and C-4, where vape and smoke shops would be allowed only under a conditional use permit.
- What is the impact of this amendment on Southaven’s retail landscape? The amendment, if enacted, could lead to a more diverse range of businesses occupying retail spaces, promoting economic growth and enhancing the overall vibrancy of the city.