E-Cigarettes vs Vape Pens vs Vape Mods vs Vape Pods
These devices come in a wide variety of shapes and sizes just like the the humans who use them. The one thing they all have in common however is the e-juice that gets turned into the vapor which the user inhales like the smoke of a traditional cigarette.
This piece will focus on e-cigarettes, vapes (vape pens), vape mods and vape pods to help provide vapers with a better idea of which product is right for them.
We’ll start with the most popular, publicized, and heavily used of all vape products, the e-cigarette. The e-cigarette looks like a real cigarette, it breaks down it’s e-juice into a vapor that the user inhales, allowing them to receive the nicotine present in the e-juice.
- Cost Savings
- None of the other drawbacks of analog cigarettes: No mess, No Smell, social acceptance, etc
- Bad Battery Life
- Less than stellar vaping volume and experience (compared to vape pens and vape mods)
- Not as cost efficient as vaping with a vape pen
- Use a Disposable Cartridge
The next step in the evolution of the e-cigarette is the vape pen. Vape pens produce a voluminous vape and even last longer than e-cigarettes due to their more powerful battery. In fact many people move from e-cigarettes to vape pens after they become a more experienced vaper. Vape pens are roughly the size of a fountain pen and come with refillable tanks making them cheaper than the cartridge ridden e-cigarettes.
Vape Pen Benefits
- Portability (about the size of a fountain pen)
- Great battery life (lasts a day or more depending on vaping frequency)
- Cost efficient
- Lasts Long in between refills
- Produces a voluminous vape
Vape Pen Cons
- Not as portable as the e-cigarette
A vape mod is essentially a vape pen on steroids. It’s the perfect device for people who want to get that extra power out of their personal vaporizer. Vape mods are ideal for people who want to be able to have some form of customization to their vaping experience due to the mod’s larger battery which allows the user find the perfect power and voltage settings for their individual needs. With a vape mod vapers can experience a cooler vape, a warmer vape, or an even more voluminous vape.
Vape Mod Pros
- Good battery life
- Variable voltage and customizable settings
- Good vape volume
- More powerful
Vape Mod Cons
- Big and bulky
- Costs much more than a vape pen or an e-cigarette
- Too much power for some individuals
These devices have become increasingly popular type of vape. Vape pod, which is sometimes referred to as a pod device is small vaping devices with interchangeable cartridges for your e-liquid of choice.
If you aren’t familiar with many vape models, these devices are mini vapes that use a two-part system. The two parts to these vapes are a pod filled with e-liquid or vape juice, and the small battery pack into which it snaps into place.
Pod vapes are available in two options:
Some vapes feature power buttons or switches, but more commonly, they’re automatic. It will activate the cartridge and produce vapor upon each inhale. Whether they’re disposable, or refillable and longer-lasting, these vapes are compact and lightweight. They are simple to use and carry around.
Vape Pod Pros
- Compact — Pod systems are much more compact than vape mods, making them a more suitable option for vapers who don’t want to consume much pocket space with their vaping device but still want ample vapour production.
- Simple — Pods are extremely easy to use thanks to their relatively simple designs. Many pod systems lack buttons, similar to most cig-a-likes, and instead make use of sensors that detect usage and produce vapour automatically.
- Affordable — Pod systems do vary in price, however, they are relatively affordable. For vapers on a budget, this is definitely a good thing.
- Nic Salts — Pod vapes work with nicotine salt e-liquids, which is something that many vapes don’t do as only pod-style and low-wattage devices are designed to work with nic salt vape juice. This means superior absorption and improved throat hit for pod system users.
Vape Pod Pros
- Batteries — Because the pod systems are a lot smaller than the batteries of box mods and other high-powered devices, their batteries are, too. If you’re a heavy vaper that’s looking for a piece of hardware that can be used all day without needing a recharge, a pod system might not be the right choice for you.
- Clouds — If you’re somebody that likes to produce thick vape clouds, the pod system, again, isn’t the ideal choice; vapour production is good, but it isn’t enough to create thick plumes of vapour like you might expect from a cloud chasing mod.
- Nicotine –— Pods work better with higher nicotine level e-liquids. This isn’t ideal if you’re wanting to use low-nicotine or nicotine-free e-liquids, though. Some pods will work fine with these, but they are typically more expensive.
Now that you know more about some of the different types of vape devices available, you should have all the information you need to make an informed purchasing decision.